I made both of these today. You read that correctly. I whipped these up, took pictures, loaded them up, and posted them. I feel accomplished. Now if only the laundry happened in the same manner.
There really wasn't a pattern I followed. I took measurements added in for the seam allowance and added an extra 5 inches on to that. Some of the tutorials I read, recommended to double the width, but for me, that turned out too big. Since I'm trying to become a better sewer, I took the opportunity to do french seams on these pieces. It did look nicer, and it didn't take any extra time or care. In fact, they were easier to do then trying to get an even overlocking stitch down the seam.
I found it best to finish all the seams and hemming before I started shirring.
I've linked this to all the awesome parties listed in the sidebar!